CNA Refresher Course
The job of a certified nursing assistant is extremely critical, as they deal with people who struggle for their lives. Due to the criticality involved in this job, it is mandatory that the certified medication aides should possess excellent nursing skills. CNA refresher course is one such type of program that aims at revising the necessary skills that are required to be possessed by an ideal certified nursing aide.
Need for Refresher Courses
- Every hospital attendant possesses a CNA license of their respective state that enables them to work in any medical facility within that state. This license expires after a certain period and it is the duty of every nursing employee to renew it at least one month before it expires. However, due to some reasons, you may forget to renew it before the expiry date. In such circumstances, you will have to undergo the CNA refresher course and then obtain the license by passing the state competency examination. However, in some states, undergoing the refresher course would help you to obtain your nursing aide license without appearing for the exams.
- The need for such refresher courses also arises when hospital attendants remain unemployed for twenty four consecutive months
Requirements for the Refresher Course
For candidates whose license is lapsed or who do not possess any work experience in the field of nursing for the past 1 year should gather the following things in order to seek admission for the refresher course:
- A Criminal Background Verification Certificate
- Social Security Card
- Photo Identity Proof such as the State ID or a Driver's License
- A Valid Nursing Aide Certification
List of CNA Refreshment Classes
Fee and Other Details
The fees for the refreshment courses when compared to the full time classroom training is very less. The fees include the certified nursing assistant course books classroom essentials and the National Nurse Aide Assessment Program (NNAAP) Competency Exam. Fees once paid would not be refundable under any circumstances. Given below are the fees for the two institutes that conduct refresher courses:
- The DMTC Nursing Program- USD 150
- VGCC Franklin Campus – USD 123
Important Aspects of a Refresher Course
- The strength of the students in one class is usually less, as there are around 8 to 10 students in every class. This ensures individual attention and helps to revise things at a faster pace.
- The instructors at the institute are specialized professionals who possess immense knowledge about the training. Though the instructors have the freedom to redesign the course as per the needs of the students who attend the training, it is mandatory to follow the guidelines of the state's certified nurse aide curriculum.
- The duration of the training is approximately 15 hours
- Since, this is a refresher course and the students are already aware about the concepts, such sessions are basically interactive ones where both the students and the instructors discuss things and make the training a constructive one.
- The sponsor of the training is required to submit an application for the course approval at least three weeks before the commencement of the program and should receive the approval from the State Board of Nursing before they start the course. On its approval, they would receive a unique approval number following which they can start the training.
- There are certain responsibilities of the sponsor even after the completion of the training program. They have to send the Roster for Health Occupations Credentialing to the Nursing Aide Continuing Education Instructor. This roster contains the complete listing of the certified nursing assistants who have successfully completed the course. The sponsor has to send the nursing assistant education forms that will have all the necessary details of each of the nursing aides. Once these necessary procedures are completed, the state registry will be updated which would show that the particular nursing aide is eligible to work now.
- During the training sessions, the nursing aides would learn their roles and responsibilities that are required to be performed in the health care sector, importance of communication in attending to the patient's needs, the resident's rights, safety issues, infection control, and nursing skills. Personal care of the residents, care of cognitively impaired patients and basic restorative services are also included in the guidelines which are to be compulsorily included in the refresher course for a certified nursing aide.
Advantages of Refresher Courses
- Refresher courses help CNAs to obtain your license once again
- Assist you to revise the course content
- Aids to enhance your nursing skills
- You will come to know about how much knowledge you possess and the areas of improvement
Disadvantages of Refresher Courses
- The refresher courses though are for a shorter duration of time, the number of hours spent each day for the course is more. Thus, most of the candidates may not find time to attend the entire session on a regular basis.
- If proper inquiry is not done at the time of admission, then you may end up in seeking admission to a fake institute that may create problems in the future.
Besides obtaining the license, the CNA refresher courses are the best way to revise all the nursing concepts. These programs also help them in reviving their lucrative career and land up with a job that gives them a steady salary.
- Free CNA Courses
- Online CNA Courses
- CNA Courses at Red Cross
- CNA Crash Courses
- CNA Refresher Courses
Regarding CNA Courses
- CNA Courses Description
- CNA Courses Outline
- CNA Courses Books
- CNA Courses in College
- CNA Courses in Hospital
- CNA Courses in Los Angeles
- CNA Courses in Charlotte NC
- CNA Courses in Maine
- CNA Courses in Orlando FL